21 weeks

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

How far along: 21 weeks

Baby's size: A Banana
Baby swallows at least several ounces of amniotic fluid each day - the taste of which differs from day to day depending on what I've eaten. She has very developed taste buds already. In fact, researchers have noted that babies who were exposed to certain tastes in utero were more eager to eat foods with that same taste after birth. Better start eating my veggies! Baby's digestive system is busy creating meconium (a tarry black substance made of swallowed amniotic fluid, digestive secretion, and dead cells), which will fill the first diaper after birth. Ahh, something to look forward to! And, since baby is a girl, her womb is now stocked up with her lifetime supply of six million eggs (the number will drop around one million by birth.)


Blog Button

Symptoms: Not feeling the round ligament pains anymore. But I think I'd prefer to have that back over the side aches and back pain! I think my abs are starting to separate to make more room for the baby. The ultrasound showed that she weighs 13 oz already, putting her in the 59th percentile.

Sleep: Primarily sleeping on my side these days. And just this past week I've been getting side aches on my right side almost every day, so I've been sleeping on my left side a lot. Sleeping on my back is still comfortable, but Dr. B said to keep that to a minimum if possible.

Total Weight Gain: 14 pounds

Maternity clothes: Found a great pair of black shorts on sale at Motherhood Maternity. They fall just above my knee, so they'll be great to wear at work all summer. Also found a great top at a boutique that isn't maternity, but has a band around the bottom and plenty of room for me to grow!

Best moment this week: Without questions, seeing our baby in the ultrasound and finding out she is a girl! But there have been so many little moments since then that hubby and I have had as the realization sinks in that we are going to have a baby girl soon! His excitement just melts my heart. Last night he told me that he couldn't wait until his little girl runs into daddy's arms.

Movement: She still has a great deal of room in the womb, and I've certainly been feeling the result of all the space she has for gymnastics practice!

Food cravings: No earth-stopping-gotta-have-it-know cravings. But definitely still craving sweets more ... I definitely had a lot of ice cream cones this past weekend!

Gender: Girl!

Labor signs:

What I miss: Buttoning my pants.

What I'm looking forward to: Now that we know we're having a girl, I can't wait to get start on our registry and nursery planning!

Weekly Wisdom (aka what I learned this week): 

Milestones: Ultrasound and finding out that we're having a girl!

Emotions: Overwhelmed at the idea of having a baby girl! Also overwhelmed at the fact that I'm over half way through this pregnancy, and I have SO MUCH planning and preparing left to do!

3 comments:

Lori July 16, 2010 at 5:27 PM  

Congratulations on your little girl! They are SO much fun :)

I'm your newest follower. Can't wait to hear about your journey towards parenthood.
http://penelopeblue.blogspot.com/

Keri Shadai July 19, 2010 at 11:04 AM  

Today actually marks 21 wks for me! Congratulations!

torie@Life With Rylie July 20, 2010 at 10:10 PM  

Congrats on a girl! I called it :)

Post a Comment

Content Protected

I would LOVE for you to share my posts and ideas with others! I always try my best to give credit where credit is due, so I ask that you do the same. Please, let me know if you share something you found here, and simply link back to my blog. That way I can come check out your blog as well!

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP