ultrasound

Monday, July 12, 2010

Finally. Finally the day of our ultrasound came! It's hard for me to even find the words to explain. Such a strange and wonderful day.

Hubby and I were both coming from work, so we were in separate vehicles. I arrived first. Hubby was on his way, but had to stop at the mechanics shop because he was having car issues again. He said it would just take a minute and he'd be right there.

No big deal, I needed to get registered first anyway. I was headed to the lab first, and then up to see Dr. B afterward. I wasn't sure whether I should go to the lab right away, in case there was a long wait - or stall a little bit, in case there wasn't a wait at all! I waited in the lobby for five minutes, and then headed in. Hubby still wasn't there.

I sat another five minutes in the waiting room, then they called my name. Crap. I was hoping it would take a while once I got in the room. I always have to sit int he room and wait for Dr. B after talking to the nurse, so I was hoping it would be similar down in the lab. Not the case.

The ultrasound technician brought me right in the room and told me to hop up on the table, no fan fair of any sort. I let her know I was concerned my hubby wouldn't make it on time. I didn't have any idea what to expect; I'd never had ultrasound before! For all I knew it would only take five minutes and hubby would miss the whole thing! She was very sweet and said not to worry - that we'd be in there for a while.

Luckily, just as she got started I got a phone call from hubby that he was walking in. He got there just a few seconds after she started.

Let me just say, ultrasounds.are.amazing! I've seen plenty of ultrasound photos in the past, and I'll be honest, I never really understood what the big deal was. It's just a little blob that kinda looks like it could possibly be a baby, or sometimes even a tadpole!

But when it's your own it's completely different! I suppose it's quite different too since I'm 20 weeks and having my first ultrasound. So MY ultrasound photos actually look like a real little baby!

A real baby that's a GIRL!

That's right. We are going to have a little baby girl!

I was surprised. Hubby not so much, he had a feeling it was going to be a girl. We both secretly wanted a girl ... but both felt like we wanted a boy first. But I guess God had other plans!

Back to the ultrasound, we ended up being in there for 40 minutes! Our little baby girl is a little gymnast! She did not stop moving once the entire time! So the ultrasound tech had a difficult time getting all the photos she needed - the heart and the spine were the hardest. She kept having me roll onto my side, then to my back again, then to my other side - just to try to coerce the little girl to stay in the positions she needed her to.

She did finally get all the shots she needed. And I wasn't complaining one bit because it meant that I got to see my little girl for that much longer! I thought the most amazing thing yet was just feeling her move and kick inside of me. Well I was wrong. It is so much cooler to SEE and FEEL her kick at the same time!

It was such an amazing experience laying on that bed, holding hubby's hand the whole time, and watching our little baby girl kick and squirm around inside of me. Inside of me. Such a strange thing to think about a real live person living inside of me!

After the tech got all the shots she needed, we headed up to see Dr. B. She was running behind schedule, so we ended up waiting 45 minutes to see her! But it was a good appointment, she said everything on the ultrasound looked good! She listened for the heartbeat again with the doppler, 145 bpm. (The ultrasound said it was 158 bpm.) She answered a few questions for me, and then we were off!

Pictures are coming soon!

4 comments:

Rosilind Jukic July 12, 2010 at 2:38 PM  

Ohhhhh - I actually got a bit teary-eyed reading this. I sooooo remember my 18 week appointment, when Robi went from a "what the heck is that" to looking like a real baby on the ultrasound (umm...well, in the picture he looks like an alien waving to us...but...he was a cute alien!)

My hubby was convinced I was having a girl (as was I) - so our maternal and paternal insticts (if there is such a thing as a paternal instinct) were waaaay off. haha! But, who cares. We wouldn't trade our Robi for the world!

Thank you for allowing us to follow this journey with you. I feel like I am living it all over again (but without the water retention and heartburn).

Belle's Butterfly July 12, 2010 at 2:49 PM  

Congratulations!!! Little girls are so much fun!! Think of all that Pink!

Seeing that little baby for the first time is amazing. I could sit there all day watching her and listening to her heartbeat. For our 20 week appointment we were able to bring in a DVD and have some of it recorded. We watched it a ton of times over the couple of weeks after. We had trouble getting shots of her spine and head. We actually had to come back a couple of weeks later so she could get better shots. Everything was fine and we got to see her again. We almost weren't able to find out what she was. The whole appointment she had her legs crossed. But at the very end she gave the tech a very very clear shot!

I hope the tech gave you a ton of pictures!

Daenel T. July 12, 2010 at 3:50 PM  

Congratulations. I'm so excited for you. Having a little girl is one of the biggest joys in life (I have 4 and a boy). Enjoy each day of her growing inside of you, it is a miracle. Much love and many hugs.

PS
Glad they did one now. They did mine 9 days before my baby was due and told me I was having twins!

Nic July 16, 2010 at 11:47 AM  

Congrats on the baby girl! Hubs and I wanted a boy the first time around to but had a daughter. I wouldn't change it for the world. Plus, girl clothes are so much more fun to buy! Trust me; we had a boy last summer and I swear I forget to buy him clothing because I get distracted by the cutesy stuff for his big sis.

Post a Comment

Content Protected

I would LOVE for you to share my posts and ideas with others! I always try my best to give credit where credit is due, so I ask that you do the same. Please, let me know if you share something you found here, and simply link back to my blog. That way I can come check out your blog as well!

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP