25 weeks - 6 months

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

How far along: 25 weeks

Baby's size: An Eggplant
Ella's oh-so-handy sense of equilibrium is kicking in, and she's learning to distinguish right side up from upside down. Her skin is turning pinker; small blood vessels called capillaries are forming under the skin and filling with blood. Later this week, blood vessels will also develop in Ella's lungs, bringing them one step closer to full maturity - and one step closer to taking that first breath of fresh air. But her lungs are still very much works in progress. Though they are already beginning to develop surfactant, a substance that will help the lungs expand after she is born, the lungs are still too undeveloped to sufficiently send oxygen to the bloodstream and release carbon dioxide when she exhales. Ella's nostrils, which have been plugged up until now, are starting to open this week as well. This actually allows her to begin taking practice breaths - of course since there's no air in there, she is really only "breathing" amniotic fluid.


Blog Button

Symptoms: Still feeling like my ribs are pulling apart, and getting back pain. Other than that, feeling pretty good. Noticing that I get short of breath quicker than normal.

Sleep: I'm actually sleeping pretty well. But it is very hard to get comfortable at night. Because of the pain in my ribs, sleeping on my back is actually the most comfortable - but they advise against it. So I try to make sure I role over onto my side before I actually fall asleep.

Total Weight Gain: 18 total

Maternity clothes: Maternity clothes are my friend! But I've had a hard time finding maternity clothes that actually fit me and look flattering. I've had just as much luck finding regular styles that work as maternity.

Best moment this week: We went camping/canoeing with my extended family this past weekend. Many of them I have not seen since I first found out I was pregnant. So it was so fun to see them all and have them comment on my baby bump!

Movement: Still feeling her move everyday. Her movements are getting bigger and stronger. Last night I felt her moving for an hour and a half straight! This weekend my mom was able to feel her move, she's the only one who's felt her move besides hubby.

Food cravings: Still no major cravings! I do notice that I'm in the mood for sweets more often.

Gender: Girl!

Labor signs:

What I miss: Being able to sit normally, without needing extra lower back support.

What I'm looking forward to: Making plans for Ella's room.

Weekly Wisdom (aka what I learned this week): I learned from my What to Expect app today that research has linked good dental health and oral hygiene with longer pregnancies! Who would have thought? Apparently gingivitis can progress to periodontitis - which has been linked to premature birth and even an increased risk of preeclampsia.

Milestones: 6 months!

Emotions: This pregnancy is flying by, and I still have so much to do!

1 comments:

Tracey August 12, 2010 at 5:00 PM  

I just found your blog and I love it. We must be due around the same time. I am due December 3rd.
www.mysweet-t.com

Post a Comment

Content Protected

I would LOVE for you to share my posts and ideas with others! I always try my best to give credit where credit is due, so I ask that you do the same. Please, let me know if you share something you found here, and simply link back to my blog. That way I can come check out your blog as well!

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP