nursery sneak peak

Monday, August 9, 2010

Like many things, I've been dreaming about Ella's nursery long before I knew about Ella. For a little over a year, I've had a pretty good idea in my mind of what I wanted it to look like. I'm loving the gray and yellow combo that's so popular right now. In clothes, in decorating, anything.


Unfortunately this color pallet doesn't seem to have made a big splash into nurseries realm quite yet. I know in my head what I want her room to look like, but I've never actually SEEN it done anywhere.

I first found this Dwell Studio pillow online at Target, and fell in love with it. And amazingly, when I saw it in person I loved it even more! So my mom bought it for me as my "shower gift." It'll be my inspiration piece of sorts - the yellow that I use to match everything to.




I've been searching the internet for months for a crib bedding set in this color scheme - to no avail. They all just seem so busy. I'm looking for something a little more calming, and a design that can grow with her. I did finally find this Modern Berries Modif crib set from Rosenberry Rooms that would be perfect for what I have in mind. It is gorgeous, but a bit out of my price range. And by a bit, I mean a lot. It's $399.99 and doesn't include a quilt.


The closest thing I've found to what I have in my head is Leighton's nursery on ohdeedoh. Leighton's mom has a lot of great ideas that I hope to borrow. I love her crib set - which she found on Etsy.


So my plan? I'm going to make my own crib bedding! I'm enlisting the help of my mom and mother-in-law and I'm going to make my own crib bumper, skirt and blanket. Hopefully I can find a pattern with a similar feel to the one from Rosenberry Rooms at the fabric stores. For the blanket, I'd like to find large pattern - like this Bananafish Love Bird pattern from Target below. If not, plan b is to make a quilt like the one in Leighton's room. I figure I can just buy a white, yellow or gray fitted sheet to match whatever pattern I find.


Hubby likes the idea. Mostly I think he just likes how excited I AM about it! He thinks it's great that I'm so excited about making my own stuff for Ella's room. Being a graphic designer though, he had some input as well. He said we need to have another color for an accent - that gray and yellow is a little too dull. So at his recommendation, I'm planning to add plum into the mix somehow as well.

Those are my thoughts for now. I'm all about personalization.There's nothing I dislike more than "boxed sets" so to speak, where everything in a room is exactly the same pattern. I like random things that are pulled together that coordinate, rather than match. I've got many other ideas flying around in my head, but I'll keep them for another day.

2 comments:

Unknown August 9, 2010 at 5:05 PM  

Great ideas. My Mom made all my bedding and it did turn out perfect, they have TONS of patterns just be careful as the fabric can end up costing as much if not more than alot of sets. And just a quick tid-bit the quilt, you will never use more than decoration. Blankets are bad/dangerous whatever, I never had one and never ever needed it.

Beanz Thingz August 29, 2010 at 1:16 PM  

Nobody had my nursery colors either: black and white. With a splash of yellow. You'll find what you need. I found b&w stuff when I stopped looking in baby stores. Don't give up. And as for the quilt, don't worry about it. You won't use it because babies can't have blankets for the first year or 2 of life. My advice, find individual pieces. You won't use the bumper the first year either...another big no no. So looks for sheets and a crib skirt that you love. You might be able to make a crib skirt too...if you sew. Good luck!!

Post a Comment

Content Protected

I would LOVE for you to share my posts and ideas with others! I always try my best to give credit where credit is due, so I ask that you do the same. Please, let me know if you share something you found here, and simply link back to my blog. That way I can come check out your blog as well!

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP