baby making adventures: buying hpt

Thursday, March 11, 2010

So AF is suppose to come in five days, and I am SO hoping to be stood up! In the meantime, I went to the pharmacy yesterday to buy a hpt for the first time. I think this ranks up there with going to buy condoms (something I have never had to do!) ... a little awkward to say the least!

First I had to figure out where the heck they even put them in the store. They are oh so discretely titled 'family planning' on the large banner over head. So it took me a while to find!

When I finally found them, I was warmly greeted by an entire wall of options! Ok. Maybe not an ENTIRE wall, but it sure seemed like it. I had absolutely no idea what I was suppose to buy. Are name brands better than generic? Are early predictors as reliable? Should I buy a single test or a three pack? Did anyone else know how expensive these things were! Because I sure didn't!

So I decided to go with a First Response Early Results test. Why? Because I'd heard of it, and because it was on sale. What can I say, I'm a sucker for a good deal.

So then I had to walk around the store getting my other items, with a bright pink box in my hand. Nothing discreet about it! I was just praying that I wouldn't run into anyone I knew, which was a high probability considering I was only three blocks from home!

Then there was no clerk at the check out, so I had to wait some more ... while the sweet old lady trying to figure out the photo machine nonchalantly eyed me and my purchases. I can only imagine what she was thinking!

Finally it was tucked away in my bag and I ran out of the store. Safe.

Sure hope I don't have to do that again soon! Now I just have to wait until tomorrow to actually TAKE the test!

1 comments:

Pippy March 12, 2010 at 9:29 AM  

Hey!
Good luck testing!
The first response tests are usually the best ones. The box says that they can detect up to 5 days sooner but here is a little accuracy chart...you would have to know when you ovulated for it to help a whole lot but still.

HPT Accuracy -Days Past Ovulation (dpo)

10 dpo : 35%
11 dpo : 51%
12 dpo : 62%
13 dpo : 68%
14 dpo : 74%
15 dpo : 80%
16 dpo : 88%
17 dpo : 92%
18 dpo : 99%

I hope that helps!

Also, the digital tests are even more sensitive, they require more of the hormone than the line test does, so it's possible for the line test to be positive and the digital one might still say no.

Good luck!

Post a Comment

Content Protected

I would LOVE for you to share my posts and ideas with others! I always try my best to give credit where credit is due, so I ask that you do the same. Please, let me know if you share something you found here, and simply link back to my blog. That way I can come check out your blog as well!

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP