telling our family: part 2

Friday, March 26, 2010

We live in the same town as my in-laws, so telling them should have been much easier to arrange. Except of course for the weekend we found out, both hubby's parents were at their condo down south. And his sister was traveling for work. And his youngest sister was down with her parents at the condo. And his oldest sister was three hours away, well because that's where they live. :)

Both of our families are very close, but hubby's in particular has a very hard time keeping secrets. So we really wanted to tell them all at once if possible. However, his mom won't be home until Easter ... and there is NO WAY I could wait that long to tell them!

So last Tuesday (the day after we told my family), hubby's middle sister came over to watch 24 with us. Now this particular sister is actually the reason I'm even part of the family. See we were on the same freshman floor at college, and were very good friends all throughout college. It wasn't until the end of our junior year that her brother and I finally noticed each other! So we wanted to tell her first. But before I even finished my warning about not telling anyone, she blurted out "are you pregnant!?" haha, I guess she saw it coming.

The following weekend hubby's dad came home, and his older sister was coming for a visit with her two kids. So though we desperately wanted to tell them all in person, we came the the realization that we were going to have to find another way. Well we live in an area prone to spring flooding, and this happened to be the weekend the river was going to crest, so hubby helped his mom set up skype on her computer in order to give her 'flood updates.'

So Friday night we sat everyone down and got hubby's mom and youngest sister on skype. Once hubby shared the news both his mom and little sister just screamed into the computer! (And apparently they had their suspicions, they didn't believe the rues of needing skype for 'flood updates.' Oh well, we tried!) His dad, who was sitting right next to us, was uncharacteristically silent. I think he may have been a little stunned!

Once everyone calmed down, hubby's mom told his middle sister to run up to her closet. And she came down with these:
 

One for a boy and one for a girl. Apparently she's been waiting ...

Later hubby's oldest sister arrived. We all sat down for dinner, and as we were passing the food, hubby nonchalantly informed her that we were having a baby. I have never heard anyone scream louder or more intensely then she did at that moment. Her poor kids had no idea what was happening to mommy! She jumped out of her seat and did a little dance than then gave us both hugs. I guess she's a little excited for us to know what it's like to be a parent. :)

It is so fun to be able to share this with our families. I think I'd be going crazy if we weren't telling anyone. I just want to run out and announce it to all our friends. But I think we are planning on waiting at least until our first doctor visit on April 13th. I just can't wait! That still seems so far away.

4 comments:

The mad woman behind the blog March 26, 2010 at 1:58 PM  

This is the fun part, both the keeping the secret and sharing it, isn't it.

Next up: the sex! woo hoo! And wow the wait for that one.

We haven't told everyone but I suspect my mom has spread the word. My hubs isn't a talker so now if I can keep my mouth shut until the "appropriate" time.

Good luck! And wow, those pjs are TOO cute.

Chelsea March 26, 2010 at 9:55 PM  

I hope I'm as open with my family and in-laws as you are. My husband jokes that I won't even tell him until the baby kicks while we're cuddling.

I'm so psyched for you!

Kitty Deschanel March 27, 2010 at 7:49 PM  

That's hilarious that they had little outfits stashed away!

I thought the Skype idea was clever :)

Lamb’s Most Recent Post: The Chalkboard Door is for Holiday Decorating!

Anonymous,  September 17, 2010 at 9:59 PM  

Cool site, I had not noticed bloggingthenewpink.blogspot.com before during my searches!
Carry on the excellent work!

Post a Comment

Content Protected

I would LOVE for you to share my posts and ideas with others! I always try my best to give credit where credit is due, so I ask that you do the same. Please, let me know if you share something you found here, and simply link back to my blog. That way I can come check out your blog as well!

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP