telling our family: part 1

Thursday, March 25, 2010

I already told you about the Saturday morning I got the first positive hpt, and how I told hubby about it in disbelief. What I didn't tell you is that my brother (recently home from Iraq) and his girlfriend were visiting for the weekend!

When we came out of our bedroom that morning to find them both sitting in the living room, we thought for sure they must have heard what we were talking about. We even brought it up later, because we just had to know! That of course made them really curious (they told us later they figured we were either talking dirty or talking about them! ha)

I was happy excited elated ... words can't really express what I was feeling that morning! I wanted to announce it from the roof tops! But we were still so unsure. One of the hardest things I've ever had to do was hide my excitement from my brother that day. Hubby and I would sneak looks and silly grins to each other, but we weren't free to celebrate our news in the open.
Well Sunday we got a little reassurance that it was real with a second positive hpt, but I still hadn't missed AF so I still wasn't sure. So we decided to keep it to ourselves a little longer. Just until we knew for sure.

Monday was my brother's birthday and my whole family was planning on meeting in a nearby town for a birthday dinner. Originally hubby and I didn't plan on going. We didn't really think the 2 1/2 hour drive was necessary on a week night, since we'd spent the whole weekend with him.

But then I called to set up a doctor appointment Monday after work, and they didn't need to see me until I was 8 weeks along. EIGHT WEEKS! There was no way I was waiting that long to tell anyone! And I didn't know when I would get the next opportunity to have my whole family together.
So we made a spur of the moment decision. We were going to meet my family for dinner. We decided that even if something happened, we wanted our families to be a part of it.

We are used to crazy last minute car trips, but that 2 1/2 hour drive felt like 10 hours! I thought we would never get there. But we did, and we had a great dinner with my family. Except I had butterflies in my stomach through the entire meal because I was so excited/nervous to tell them! And then I couldn't do it! So I gave hubby the look, and he stepped in to rescue me.

"Well bro, happy birthday, you're going to be an uncle!"

There was silence for a second - but only a split second - while it sunk in to everyone. Then there was excitement, and big smiles, and congratulations, and lots of questions. Both of my brothers jumped up to come give us hugs. I thought my mom might cry for a second, she was so happy.

The long drive was so worth it.


****

Stay tuned, part 2 is tomorrow: telling hubby's family

2 comments:

The mad woman behind the blog March 25, 2010 at 4:18 PM  

Okay, that just made me cry. Blame the hormomes.
I loved that and can't wait to hear how it went w/ the in laws!

SomedayWifey March 25, 2010 at 8:58 PM  

I'm glad the fam was happy!!!!!

Looking forward to hearing how it went with the in-laws :)

Post a Comment

Content Protected

I would LOVE for you to share my posts and ideas with others! I always try my best to give credit where credit is due, so I ask that you do the same. Please, let me know if you share something you found here, and simply link back to my blog. That way I can come check out your blog as well!

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP