baby has a heartbeat!

Monday, May 3, 2010

Today was the day we've been waiting for! The day of our first OB visit. Last night I was feeling a little nervous. I know they confirmed my pregnancy when I was in two weeks ago, but you never know what can happen in the meantime. Hubby of course was great at bringing perspective, and reminding me that it is all in God's capable hands and we just have to trust Him.

But being nervous and excited didn't make for the greatest nights sleep. I woke up around 2 am having to go to the bathroom of course. And then had really weird dreams. Dreams about being back in high school but still being pregnant, dreams about being engaged but still pregnant, dreams about being on crutches (not sure why) but still pregnant ... you get the idea.

Finally we were up and ready, and it was time to go to our appointment. I of course made sure to get there 10 minutes early and get registered and checked in. And then we waited. And waited. Everyone already in the waiting room when we arrived were called, and then the new people who came after us started getting called. And we waited some more. I think it was 45 minutes later before my name was finally called.

The nurse brought us back, went through all my lab results from last time, and asked a few questions for my records. Then she handed me a gown, told me to strip, and wait for the OB. (She didn't quite say it like that, but basically.) While we waited, I warned hubby about what he was about to experience. He was about to see what we women have to go through every year! He was a great sport. I guess if he wants to be there for the delivery he might as well get used to it now!

The OB finally came, along with a med student! Yay me! (They did ask me if it was ok first.) She asked me a bunch of questions about how I had been feeling, and then started my exam. Lets just say a breast exam is not so pleasant with pregnancy boobs!

Then she got right to the good stuff, the doppler! They squirted some cold gel on my stomach and then she let the med student try to find the heart beat. No success. So the OB took over, and within seconds there it was! My baby's heart, beating away at 150 beats per minute. I wasn't sure how I would react, but in the moment all I could do was smile. I got a little teary, but didn't cry. All I wanted to do was look at my hubby and share the moment with him - not with a room full of doctors and nurses. (The OB was standing between us, so I couldn't see him at first, but I eventually caught his eye. He told me later he could see me the whole time in the mirror.) But it was amazing! I'm sure it is a moment that I will never forget. The moment this baby became real to us.

Then we had to move on to the not-so-pleasant part of the exam. I needed my yearly pap smear too. Everything looked good. She said I looked like I was about 10 weeks along, right on schedule. Then I was gracious enough to let the med student have a try too. Oh joy!

Then it was all over. Just like that. We stopped to schedule our next appointment, June 4th. And then walked away not quite sure how we felt, at least I didn't. Hubby was pretty excited. It was all just so real all of a sudden. I have a baby - growing inside of me. Amazing is the only word I can think of to describe the feeling.

And then I called my mom.

2 comments:

Chelsea May 4, 2010 at 12:03 PM  

I could cry for you right now. I am so happy!
I am at 7 weeks and crying over EVERYTHING!
I can't wait for my "heartbeat" appointment.
Glad to hear all is well!

Unknown May 7, 2010 at 10:31 PM  

amazing! :) I can't wait for our first appointment.

Post a Comment

Content Protected

I would LOVE for you to share my posts and ideas with others! I always try my best to give credit where credit is due, so I ask that you do the same. Please, let me know if you share something you found here, and simply link back to my blog. That way I can come check out your blog as well!

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP