another visit with Dr. B

Monday, June 7, 2010

We met with the OB - let's call her Dr. B - for the second time on Friday. It was a pretty uneventful appointment. She mostly just asked how I'd been feeling; any cramping, bleeding, etc. Then she brought out the doppler, and found the heartbeat right away again - which was still just as amazing to hear!

I must have misunderstood her at my 10 week appointment. I THOUGHT she said that I WOULD get an ultrasound at the next visit, but IF she could find a "medical excuse" she would do one at this visit.

Turns out, she has to have a "medical reason" to do an ultrasound. Period. Apparently some company did a study a few years back that looked at low risk pregnancies, and whether or not the 18-20 week ultrasound made a difference in the end. They found it didn't. So of course the insurance companies jumped all over that, and now don't cover ultrasounds unless there is a medical reason to perform one.

In other words, you could technically go through your entire pregnancy without ever getting an ultrasound!?! I don't know about you, but that just doesn't sit well with me. That means they basically just go on what you say. Well, that and finding a heartbeat I guess. But there is so much that the ultrasound shows that you can't get any other way!

Thankfully, Dr. B said I'm "measuring small" so I will be getting an ultrasound next time! Phew! (I don't know if I actually AM measuring small, but I'm thinking no since she didn't even measure me ...)

We're not in love, so to speak, with Dr. B - but today we like her because she's giving us an ultrasound next time! Don't get me wrong, she's a great doctor and I have full confidence in her abilities, she just doesn't offer up a lot of extra information. Being new at this, and not necessarily the most outgoing, I would really appreciate that. But if I ask, she is more than happy to answer. So I guess I just have to come better prepared, and be a little more forward with my questions in the future! I've never been very good in the doctors office. (Part of me wishes I could still have my mom come with me!)

My ultrasound/check-up are schedule for July 9th - when I'll be 20 weeks. Again I have to wait 5 weeks between appointments, instead of 4, because of the holiday weekend. But if baby cooperates, we should be able to find out if he's a boy or a girl next time! The heartbeat was right around 140 bpm this time ... so there's another clue!

What do you think we're having? Place your vote in the side bar! Voting will stay open until July 9th at 3:15, when hopefully we'll be finding out the sex! Vote now and vote often! haha, but only if you want to.

4 comments:

torie@Life With Rylie June 7, 2010 at 7:53 PM  

my mom said she never got a ultrasound with me either. I would go crazy!! I think girl, but I am hoping that you have a healthy baby first!

torie@Life With Rylie June 7, 2010 at 7:53 PM  

my mom said she never got a ultrasound with me either. I would go crazy!! I think girl, but I am hoping that you have a healthy baby first!

Nic June 8, 2010 at 8:53 AM  

My doctor invented a reason for me to have a 3rd trimester ultrasound. He said (and I quote), "Oh, I think you've been experiencing some decreased activity in the womb. Better check that out." Then he winked. lol. I have a guess soley on the heart rate thing, I'll go vote! :)

Belle's Butterfly June 8, 2010 at 2:19 PM  

My mom never had any ultrasounds with me or my brother. I had a ton of ultrasounds in my third trimester. All for medical reasons. I thought that insurance companies covered the 20 week ultrasound but that was the only one if not for medical reasons. My 20 week ultrasound was the long extensive one. My doctor took a look at everything to make sure everything was developing. And we found out we were having a girl then too.

Can you take a DVD in? We were able to take on in and have it on DVD now.

Post a Comment

Content Protected

I would LOVE for you to share my posts and ideas with others! I always try my best to give credit where credit is due, so I ask that you do the same. Please, let me know if you share something you found here, and simply link back to my blog. That way I can come check out your blog as well!

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP